Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Strawberry Patch | 2015

It's become a tradition to go to Nevada and pick strawberries at The Berry Patch every June. And every time we go, I'm flooded with memories of my grandma.  In the summer, we got to spend one week floating between our aunts' and grandmas' house.  I have many memories with my Grandma Laura--eating dough balls, playing sorry/old maid/rack-o, canning salsa, playing croquet, etc.--but every time we're at the strawberry patch, I remember the days of running down the dew-soaked hill with the morning sun shining down on our eyes go to pick strawberries from her big, circular raised strawberry gardens.  I wish I could go back and have a few of those memories recorded.  The older I get, the more I want to document real life memories as opposed to staged portraits. 

Anyways, back to the strawberry patch...it had been raining a ton, but we all know the berry season is short, so we pushed forward as scheduled, and spent the morning bare foot in the garden.  I saw a few pairs of overalls in the kids' closet that morning and thought they would be perfect for the occasion.  Unfortunately one pair {Jordyn's} was a size 12 months {she's 3 1/2!} and the other {Cullyn's} were 18 months {he was 2 in April!}  However, my kids know me and when I get something in my head, we go with.  So without one bit of complaining, my nearly 4 year old put on a pair of 12 month bibs with snaps up one leg and down the other and rolled them up so it was a bit less noticeable.  Guess what my kids are getting for Christmas this year?!  :)
The Berry Patch


Jordyn's Overalls {similar} | Cullyn's Overalls {similar}

































----------------------------------------------------------------------

After you pick strawberries, homemade strawberries malts made by my dad are a must! :)




----------------
Some of our favorite LOCAL EVENTS

I've posted in the past about Better Homes & Garden Test GardenPhelps Youth PavilionSeven OaksSports ClassScience Center of Des Moines, GlitterazziArt Class @ the Des Moines Art CenterElmo LiveiCubsShear MadnessB&B DeliTriad TumblingZoo TotsThe RitzBaconfestBackyard AdventuresSkyZoneSculpture ParkZoo TunesIowa State Fair 2012Iowa State Fair 2013Iowa State Fair 2014Tubing at SevenOaks in BooneFree Little LibrariesJumpin Jacks, and tons of local Christmas Activities.  I've briefly mentioned the farmer's market {which is a pretty big deal here} few concert and shows, and tons of restaurants, but there are so many places we've been and things we've experienced around this city that I haven't even mentioned.  
*None of these places have any clue who I am or what this little blog is.  I pay for our entrance/membership like any other customer and blog only my honest opinions.

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...