Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Smaller, Faster, Stronger

I've 'graduated' from the Elliptical to the Treadmill.  Also?  I'm that lame mama that wears a hat to keep the sweat from her eyes.  My teenage self is hiding right now! :)
I mentioned here that I'm tracking my daily calorie intake with My Fitness Pal, but we also joined a gym last fall.  I know, last fall, like 5 months ago, so I should really show more progress than I have.  The truth is, we joined and I lost a little weight early on, but never really changed my eating habits, then we had the holidays, and mixed in there my husband was sick and unable to work out for over 8 weeks.  I know, excuses, excuses.  

The good news is that we have both been back to the gym for the last month or so.  This weekend we 'cheated' on our calories for the first time and both of us commented how much our bodies hated us afterwards.  The scale showed the same number on Monday that it did on Friday, but we both just felt like crap.  Neither of us realized how much better we were really feeling.

With the exception of a one-week attempt at the gym with an ex-boyfriend in college, I have never been to a gym before.  While I know it isn't a 'requirement' to belong to a gym to get fit, I know that I have no self-discipline for home DVDs and the Iowa weather isn't conducive to outdoor running {especially with children!} with negative temperatures and icy conditions.

Enter, a gym membership.

I was so intimidated to join {that's an understatement!}, but I had no idea how much I would fall in love with it!  We joined because like I mentioned before we needed to commit to something to help with a lifestyle change, but we chose this gym in particular, because it worked best for our family.

Our must have list..
Large free-weight area for Adam
Variety of classes for me
Daycare for the kids

The gym we found has all of that plus tanning, a sauna, multiple locations and fancy machines with TVs on each one, etc.  Hello, what's not to love?  Plus, the kids love the daycares.  And, they're building a new, really nice {think two story, full track, swimming pool, etc.} gym right by the kids' daycare, the bank, and the grocery store.  Could it get anymore convenient?! *The one thing we don't have {that I'm totally jealous of} is a 'Parent's Night Out' 

There isn't much I love more than taking my whole family into the gym.  It makes me feel so good.  Like amongst all of the bad habits we're showing our children, we're teaching them one good habit--haha!  Oh and it should be noted that somewhere along the way Jordyn has learned this…
Me after daycare pickup: Hop in the car babe.
Jordyn: Why {a favorite question of hers}
Me: Because we're going to the gym
Jordyn: To get muscles, Mama?
Me: Yes {laughing} to get muscles
Who teaches her these things?!

As for classes, these are my 3 favorite {so far}
Cardio Blast & Burn {Monday}
Granny teaches this class {think gray afro} and holy crap, looks can be so deceiving!  She has got it going on!  I love that this class is a combo of step and weights/bands to good music.  I always feel like I've got a really good workout when I leave this class.

KickIt! {Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday}
My favorite instructor teaches on Mondays, who also happens to refer to me a 'mama' because she always sees me schlepping my two kids in and out of the gym, haha!  I love this class because it goes so fast {I never look at the clock} and we workout to killer music.  Plus, my favorite instructor uses a lot of Tabata/HITT {high intensity interval training} which is an added bonus since it keeps you burning tons of extra calories all night long.

Step Up {Tuesday}
I was so embarrassed to take this class.  I could only picture old ladies with leg warmers when I was getting ready for this class.  I could not have been more wrong!  I love this class.  We do fairly basic moves and put them into little routines.  The class goes by so fast and I love than you can really determine how much you want to get out of the class by adjusting your step accordingly.  Let me state for the record though, this class is no joke! 

On Fridays I try to run {and tan} in the morning.  For the most part, we don't workout on the weekends {unless we happen to be home, then we usually try to go once}.  Mondays have my favorite classes that I don't want to miss, so I usually go to two that evening.

This is my 'ideal' gym schedule right now.  Know that one night usually gets 'taken' for something else. :(

As for the results, which is what I'm sure most of you are most curious about, I've lost 8 pounds since January 2nd {so about 1 month}.  My jeans are finally baggy again, but I have a long way to go.  Remember, we have 9 weddings this year and 3 of them are on beaches.  ay yi yi!
------------------------
Again, I am no physician, dietitian, or supermodel, but for me it's all about being able to eat what I like, in moderation and staying active throughout the week.

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...