Thursday, October 15, 2015

It's SOLD...

I'm an emotional basket case these days. Our life is in a constant state of crazy..  The top 3 things consuming us right now are dealing with the sale of the condo/moving/searching for a new house to buy, Jordyn not wanting to go to school, and having my van in the shop for over a week {two weeks ago it was in the shop for 3 days for the same issue}.  When my mind is going a million miles a minute, I find it's best to write, so here goes...

It's sold.  The boxes are gone.  We no longer own our condo in Ankeny.  We took a $17k hit on it. Seventeen thousand dollars. We ended up doing worse on it than we thought, so at this point, I speak for both of us when I say we're just happy to be out.  I will not miss the parking issues.  Or the 18 steps to get inside.  Or a detached {one stall!} garage.  Or dealing with neighbors being that close.  But it's still hard.  It's our first home.  It's where Adam and I lived when we dated, planning a wedding, decided to adopt a puppy, and brought our babies home.

I wanted nothing more than to spend out last evening there, gathered on the floor as a family around a take out pizza from a local joint sharing memories.  When we had roommates.  When I spent the night puking in the guest bath after a particularly rough evening at 'our place' that involved karaoke & Vodka/Redbulls.  When Adam got mad that we didn't have enough cupboard space and crumpled a cookie sheet like a piece of paper and threw it across the house.  When Jordyn learned to walk.  The kids playing with snow in front of the fireplace. When we played Cribbage almost nightly.  When I sat in the hall trying to make Jordyn 'cry it out'.  When I ate too many crab legs for the first time and thought perhaps I was having a baby & didn't know I was pregnant.  When Jordyn sat in the chair and sang her ABCs, and two years later sat in the same chair and recited the Pledge of Allegiance. When Adam and Mark practiced at the condo every Tuesday for an entire summer.  When the power went out and Adam and I spent the night drinking all the wine in the house and playing Monopoly by candlelight. When Cullyn climbed on the table, or fell off the couch, or permanent markered a mustache on his lip. You get the idea.

Sadly, it was rushed, like most everything in our life right now.  Jordyn and I picked up a pizza on our way home from dance at 6:45p.  The house was a mess of last minute items needing to be packed.  Adam sat on the couch eating his pizza while working on work and watching the cubs.  The kids were crying because they didn't want to eat pizza {Seriously?  What kids cry about that?!} and instead thought I should let them eat the taffy her dance teacher gave her.  And I was mad because the night wasn't how I visioned and therefore snapped at everyone and went to bed before the kids.  Happy last memory!

I want to say the first night in the lakehouse {as a temporary, permanent home---have I confused everyone yet?!} was better.  However, much like the night before, it was a shit show.  No cheers-ing to a new beginning while roasting marshmallows and watching the sun set.  We got to the lake around 6:30 and grabbed some stuff {the last from the condo} from the van {my MIL's since mines in the shop until next week!} and threw it in the door.  I unpacked the refrigerator items and got the kids some dinner while Adam went into his parents house to unload the last of the stuff from the condo.  I was rushing the kids to eat their dinner so we could go outside and make s'mores around a campfire while racing against the sun setting.  The sun won.  By the time Adam got home it was completely dark. Cullyn was sobbing about a leg ache and I was drinking a glass of wine & crying about how nothing goes our way.  Adam insisted on a fire anyways, so we went outside for s'mores.  Cullyn ate one bite, giving Adam the rest. Jordyn ate a plain marshmallow {not roasted} and then some chocolate.  I managed to finish mine.  Along with a bottle of wine. Don't you dare judge!  Afterwards we hoped into the Jeep in an attempt to put the kids to sleep.  It didn't work.  We came home and put the kids to bed, and then I put myself to bed. #RealLife

We started our 67 mi. commute {each way} today. 

As Frankie Ballard says, 'the bad times make the good times better', right?


  1. Oh man, I'm sorry it didn't go as planned!! I remember the many emotions of leaving our first home, and to imagin leaving this house now that we are bringing our children home to it is hard!! Luckily we aren't there yet!! Best wishes on finding a new place soon!! Sounds like a crummy commute!!

  2. Congrats on selling your house. My brother was in a similar situation with a condo in Ankeny. They don't hold their value much since there's new ones popping up every day. I'm sorry you're stressed! I hate when things don't go the way I envision. Hopefully life settles down soon!!

    1. I agree...tough market for condo owners in Ankeny! We are fortunate it was only as bad as it was. Just a few years ago, it was much worse {believe it or not!} :(

  3. Girl, I'm sending lots of good vibes your way. Change can be tough, but it's usually worth it!

    1. It will be, Katie. Thanks for the reminder!


Thanks for taking the time to read some of our story & especially for commenting!

Other Good Reads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...