Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Baconfest 2014 {DSM}

Earlier this month I experienced my first Baconfest.  Unless you're local, you're probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about.  Two years ago, Des Moines started hosting 'Baconfest' once a year.  It's getting bigger and bigger each year.  Tickets {I think 30,000 this year} less out it minutes.  General admission tickets cost $50 and included entrance, a t-shirt, two drink tickets, and $5 towards food purchases.  
We had plans to go with friends, but their sitter was unable to make the drive to town, so we went alone.  We ended up meeting up with Tim & Missi {Adam's cousin and wife & our friends}.  We spent most of the day with them, but we also hung out with our friends Ross & Gen, Dave & Michelle, and Aaron & Kady.

I wasn't really sure what to think before we got there, but it ended up being a blast!  There were several bands playing throughout the day and tons and tons of vendors selling their bacon food creations.
BACON sushi, grilled cheese, roses, pizza, rangoons,  corndog, bacon, friend rice, mac & cheese, nachos, meatloaf, and much more!
*It should be noted we split everything with other people and they were smaller portions, but we didn't eat 30 main courses! :)

----------------------
Other 'local' posts can be found here…


I've posted in the past about the Backyard Adventures, SkyZoneSculpture ParkZoo TunesIowa State Fair 2012Iowa State Fair 2013,  Tubing at SevenOaks in BooneFree Little LibrariesJumpin Jacks, and tons of local Christmas Activities.  I've briefly mentioned the farmer's market {which is a pretty big deal here} few concert and shows, and tons of restaurants, but there are so many places we've been and things we've experienced around this city that I haven't even mentioned.  I'm assuming others would like local suggestions.

>>What's your favorite hidden place in Iowa?

*None of these places have any clue who I am or what this little blog is.  I pay for our entrance like any other customer and blog my honest opinion.

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...