Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Blurp About Friends..

I've been meaning to write a post of this sort for a while now, but it always gets pushed aside.

The skinny: friendships are HARD

They require so much time, energy, and attention.  As a whole, I tend to have a couple that I'm pretty close with and the rest are friends of friends, I keep up with them on Facebook, or something of the sort.  Over the course, I've lost a couple good ones.  Our lives went different directions or they were lost with boyfriend breakups.  We even lost a few when we became parents.  Some by choice, some by chance.

But as a whole, we have awesome friends! 

I'm terrible at texting and [especially] calling my friends.  The most communication you usually get from me is a liked Facebook status [so sad, but true].  In fact most of my friends text me husband if they actually want me to know something, because I'm that bad at responding!  I usually see it, but I'm not able to reply at that second, so I put it down and always intend to do it later.  And our schedules get so busy that sometimes it's hard to connect, especially with out of town friends!  [Hi Jen, Melanie, Sarah, Krisin!] 

Thankfully, my friends understand me and know that I'm not ignoring them.  Most of them just make fun of my fault.  I don't know what I would do without my maintenance-free friends; the ones that when we do see each other we just take off like it was yesterday.  I love that I have friends I call for fashion help!  Friends that I call for marriage advice.  Friends that I call when I need a 'night off.'  And friends that I call when I have kid crisis!

Many are 'couple' friends so when we're together the guys drift off to one area to catch up while the girls chat in another room.  I love these friendships because I like the guys that Adam is with and it's fun to catch up with them, but I totally connect with the girls.  Plus it's always to have a girls night or a guys night, but we really enjoy hanging out as big groups. 

We have our friends from our past [high school, college, home towns, & previous jobs], our Ankeny friends, our Lake friends, and the random friends we've met along the way.  I can't wait to add our kid's friends parents and neighborhood friends to the list.  We're very much a more the merrier kind of family. 

Friendships are hard, but they are oh, so rewarding!  We're so blessed to have such awesome friends to call for anything and anytime!!

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...