Wednesday, January 31, 2018

What's Up Wednesday

whatsupwedupdated
My first What's Up Wednesday ever, so here goes..
1: WHAT WE’RE EATING THIS WEEK:
2. WHAT I’M REMINISCING ABOUT:
Summer!
3: WHAT I’M LOVING:
Meal planning, a tidy home, & more time downtime - I love January!
4: WHAT WE’VE BEEN UP TO:
All the fixing, cleaning, & purging around the house!
5: WHAT I’M DREADING:
Friday and Saturday -- we're laying an amazing man to rest and I'm just not sure my heart can take it. 
6: WHAT I’M WORKING ON:
Uploading photos to Shutterfly so I can make some photobooks -- I am sooooo behind! :(
7: WHAT I’M EXCITED ABOUT:
My sister is coming home next weekend {!!!} & I'm hosting a get-together with a few of my friends tomorrow night!
8: WHAT I’M WATCHING/READING:
Admittedly, I'm not reading much because I told myself I can't pick up another book {except in the car} until I get caught up on editing {sigh!}  We however have been watching several movies lately -- Jack Reacher, The Tillman Story, and Taking Chance plus all of these.
9: WHAT I’M LISTENING TO:
The new JT & Stapleton song -- on repeat!
10: WHAT I’M WEARING:
I'm really trying to wear more of the clothes I already have {and part with the things I've just been storing for years!} but I'm wearing these leggings on repeat!
11: WHAT I’M DOING THIS WEEKEND:
We have the funeral, a work event, church, and hopefully taking the kids skiing.
12: WHAT I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:
My sister coming home, hosting my other sisters baby showers, the daddy daughter dance, our final Christmas party!
13: WHAT ELSE IS NEW:
We're listing our house for sale!
Bonus question this month: What is your favorite soup recipe?
WHITE CHEDDAR PALE ALE POTATO SOUP
Ingredients: 
2 tablespoons salted butter1 yellow onion - finely chopped1 clove of garlic minced
7 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small bite sized pieces
1 pound of cooked hamburger
1 cup your favorite ale beer {Blue Moon}
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded {Aged White Cheddar}
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1 cup whole milk
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Step One: Begin by sautéing the beef & onions, with two tablespoons of butter in a sizzling Dutch oven. Cook them until the hamburger is crispy and the onions are translucent, beginning to caramelize.

Step Two: Add the garlic and herbs, sautéing them with the beef for a minute or so, stirring the entire time to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
Step Three: Add the chicken broth to the pot, and toss in the potatoes. You can salt the broth at this point, but make sure to taste before you do. Boil your potatoes in the broth for thirty minutes or until they are fork tender.

Step Four: While your potatoes are boiling, make the cheese sauce in a different saucepot. Simmer the ale, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and cheese on low-medium temp, stirring occasionally, until the cheese is all melted.

Step Five: Once the cheese is melted, puree the sauce using an immersion blender until it starts to froth. Once blended, pour the cheese sauce into the Dutch oven and stir.

Step Six: Once the potatoes are tender, ladle out one cup or so of soup broth into a mason jar. Add the flour, screw on the lid, and shake the jar until the flour/broth mixture thickens. Pour the thickened broth back into the Dutch oven, and stir. 
Step Seven: Using your immersion blender again, blend roughly half of your finished potato soup. This step is completely customizable. The more you blend, the thicker and creamier your soup will be. Serve with warm buttered bread.

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...