Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mama Needs Advice [!!]

Lord have mercy it's been a long couple of days at our house!  I'll just lay it out there...our kid is not happy with us!  We're trying to make the transition from bottle to sippy cup.  We introduced sippy cups [off and on for a couple of months]...baby girl has never wanted anything to do with them.  [side note: she also has ZERO interest in any food except homemade babyfood!  What is up with my kid?!] 

So, as I was saying...Monday night I picked her up from daycare and thought 'tonight is the night' I only offered her a sippy with whole milk.  She wasn't happy with me, but did drink about 4-6 ounces throughout the night.  She woke at 2am [hungry/thirsty I can only imagine].  I went in and offered her the sippy.  She nicely swatted it away and proceeded to cry [whine] for about a half hour.  She woke around 6am and Adam again offered her the sippy cup.  This time she drank none of it and decided she was getting up for the day. 

I was in meetings most of the day yesterday, but I got a few updates from the sitter indicating things were not going well, but she's had off days before so I didn't think too much of it.  Adam talked to the sitter multiple times and was giving updates [on how very mad she was that she wasn't getting the bottle she wanted!].  She took a morning nap [something she rarely does] and a [short] afternoon nap.  I picked her up from the sitter after my meeting and she just looked pathetic.  She was also wheezing a little, which is something she has never done before. 

This is getting long, so I'll cut to the chase.  I took her to Urgent Care last night for the wheezing and long story short they said she was fine and just being stubborn.  They also said that as long as her mouth is wet/pink she is okay to go without drinking. 

So basically...she's just being stubborn confused.  She doesn't know what's going on and is sad.  I really feel like if we could go another day or so she would get that her only milk is going to come from that sippy and she should embrace it.  But yesterday when I picked her up from the sitter she said if she acted that same way again tomorrow [today] she wouldn't be able to watch her. 

I don't know what to do!  I hate seeing my baby sad [especially when I could make it better] but I also feel like the bottle situation isn't going to get any better.  I feel like I'm not getting support from my sitter and she is frustrated from hearing her cry and be unhappy, but I don't really know what to do.  I don't want her to be upset or short with Jordyn, but I really don't want to find another daycare provider either.  I'm so torn!  I don't think she is a bad kid & she spends less than 30 hours a week at daycare.  What do I do?  Do I take today and tomorrow off and work with her for the next 5 days?  Do I give up and try again in a couple of months?  Everyone I talk to [friends, parents, our sitter] said their kids transitioned fine and it was never an issues.  What did I do wrong?  

Crying & Desperate,
Mama

8 comments:

  1. I just read back to see how Kayson handled the transition from bottle to sippy --- I have written down "STUBBORN & DIFFICULT!" (so I think your little girl is right on track!) ha. I have written down that it took nearly 2 full weeks of the sippy cup going well at night time... so I think you just need to keep trying and she'll figure it out.

    PATIENCE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of sippy are you using? Breck refused milk in anything but a bottle, but would take water from a sippy. We tried the Nuby ones with the soft tip that are similar to a bottle and then transitioned to a full sippy w/milk. Made the transition easier, it's a sippy, but the tip feels like a bottle nipple. Worth a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help with this one, but how awful that the sitter said she wouldn't watch her! Is she a daycare provider or an in-home sitter? I mean, doesn't she ever have kids who's parents don't discipline them properly and they act badly??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Poor baby girl. You need to try it on a Thursday when you get home from work. Then she will fight it that night and fight it again on Friday (sorry sitter, suck it up) and then you force her the whole weekend and come Monday, she's drinkin from the sippy! :) Hope all is well otherwise!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a home daycare provider. My advice is to wait a couple of months and try again. I completely disagree with Jen, the provider does not need to "suck it up" and most likely will not. You have been extremely lucky with your sitter, you like her, you've taken her there when she's feverish, not feeling well, most people do not have that arrangement. BUT, I would give you the same advice even if you were home with her. Clearly she's just not ready and what's another couple of months in the grand scheme of things? I promise she will not go off to kindergarten on the bottle.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd go back to the bottle, but transition to fewer and definitely take it away in the middle of the night...it will be rough at first, but as you take away those calories she'll start to eat more during the day.

    Also, my last two never had any baby food. Keep offering her table food, maybe scale back, gradually, the baby food. Hopefully eventually she'll get hungrier and be more interested, without feeling ambushed and famished.

    Hang in there. It's trite, but this too shall pass. Pinky swear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so hopefully this doesn't get to long. Ha. First I have 3 girls and they have all been different. My first would ONLY take cold whole milk from a sippy cup - I never put it in a bottle so we had less problems ditching the bottle. She got to where she was taking like 3 bottles a day - but wasn't using the afternoon and bedtime ones to fall asleep... so she was around 13 months woke up one day and didn't take her morning one, so I hid the bottles and they were gone! I had "attempted" to take her off them before, but had similar issues as you, so gave in ;o)
    Second child was soley breastfed and WOULDN'T take a bottle till 11 and 12 months old, she wouldn't take the soft kind of sippy cups - refused! I had to get the hard plastic kind and again only cold drinks in there - nothing warm like breastmilk or formula. She kinda weaned herself right at one - but once again wasn't using the bottle to put herself to sleep so it was easier.
    Third child.... will be 1 in 2 weeks and I think she wants to nurse more now than she has in the past 4 months, ha. But will only take the hard sippy cups also... I think I will be in the crying, whining stage also in a couple weeks when I "cut her off".
    I say it would probably be worth taking the days off and sticking to your guns!! As for baby food, no help here my girls didn't care for it and went to table food fast and didnt' even eat mashed potatoes for a while thinking it was to close to baby food ;o)
    Hope this helps maybe.... Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is Jordyn's way of telling you that she is not ready to give up the bottle and not really her being stubborn, she is still so little and this is her comfort and all she knows (in that sense). I was a daycare provider and I have to say that I can relate to your provider. I would have told my parents the same thing. Daycare providers are not able to spend the whole day one-on-one with your child and need to be able to share their attention and one child being miserable can ruin it for everyone else. I say to give Jordyn a little more time and let her set the pace. My boys were all off of the bottle between 12-18 months. I didn't allow them to fall asleep with the bottles, it was only a drink before bed and naps and I allowed them to have a sippy anytime they wanted. I just remembered though that my oldest two didn't want to drink milk from a sippy for a while after giving up the bottle. Water was pretty much the only thing they drank in there and watered down juice on occasion. As for the baby food, some children have texture issues and just need a little more time to get used to table foods. Have you thought about blending the baby food a little less, basically making it chunky?

    Good luck and keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read some of our story & especially for commenting!

Other Good Reads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...