Thursday, September 6, 2012

Struggling..

I'm struggling over here!  I don't know if I'm just being a baby or what, but it's kind of a big deal and I need to get it figured out.

Let me start by saying...I love [like love, love, loved] my OB physician with Jordyn.  He was knowledgeable, nice, and most of all personable with my husband and I.  We talked about his kids, we talked about his college/football/alcohol preferences, and we of course talked about the baby growing in my belly!  I know I wrote about [but I'm too lazy to look it up] when he quit [or whatever happened] with less than 2 weeks to go before my delivery.  I was crushed.  He was the only OB I had seen throughout my pregnancy which was my own decision, but we aren't even going there!  I ended up delivering with a doctor I had never met.  She was not friendly and had the personality of a cardboard box.  Yes, my baby and I survived, but I didn't like her.

So...this time around I wanted to find a group that I liked, a group that was close to my home or office, and a group that my insurance considered 'in network'  Two of those three could not be said about my first experience.

I called an office close to my work that carries my insurance and made an appointment for Monday, but I didn't really feel a connection don't laugh, the girl on the phone was practically reading off a script and typed so fierce I thought she had 31315 other people on hold, but it's close in proximity to our jobs.

Then I talked to a work acquaintance who happens to be an OB physician.  I really like her, but I didn't know if she would be comfortable having me as a patient since I work with her.  She casually mentioned that I'll need to see her for my next pregnancy [I haven't announced to my work that I'm expecting H2 yet]. 

Since I really like her and am comfortable with her and her skills, I decide to call and make an appointment with her group.  Her office is about 15 minutes in the wrong direction, but if the hubs doesn't throw a fit about it, I'm fine with it.  So...I call.  And the lady of the phone [a get the vibe she's been doing this for about 20 years of so] treats me basically like the girl mentioned above, a little nicer, and slower, but she insists that I see a nurse practitioner which I really don't mind for my first appointment, because i know they do this a lot and they are also very educated.  But, in addition to that, she refuses to let me be seen before 9 [nine!] weeks. 

Now, with Jordyn I was seen by a family practitioner around 6 weeks for confirmation and then my OB at 9 weeks.  We started telling people at 8 weeks.

This time, I'm a little more practical and decided to skip the whole peeing in a cup but basically just taking an in home pregnancy test in a doctor's office.  I knew I was pregnant, I didn't need to spend the money for a doctor to confirm it, and I'm already taking prescription prenatal vitamins.  We found out at 5 weeks, and told people at 5 weeks [!!]  I would honestly be okay not being seen until 9 weeks, but I feel like Adam would like an appointment to make it real Not that he doesn't think it's real now, because he does, but he's just much more of a worrier than I am and I think he would like to see on a screen that there is a sac with a baby and we're all doing well, ya know?! 

PLUS...We would all like to know what my official expected due date is.  I mean i think I know, but I wanted them to tell me what they think based on the ultrasound.

So tell me...
Am I making a big deal over nothing?  Should I keep the appointment with the office close to our offices?  Do I go with the physician I'm comfortable with and like, but office in an inconvenient location?  Decisions, decisions.  It should be noted that both groups deliver and the hospital I work at, which is a must. 

Oh, and once I finally get my appointment, I'll write a post full of deets!

4 comments:

  1. First --- Congrats Abby (and Adam)!
    Second --- Just giving you my two cents worth - I went with Women's Health Services (in West DSM & Ankeny I believe)... Have you looked into them? (Hopefully that's not one of the places you called!) I was super pleased (receptionists were just ok), but you really are only dealing with the nurses and docs... and I loved them all.

    Email me if you want more details... :)
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would try to keep in mind you're dealing with office procedures and not get too upset about it. (Ha! I remember being pregnant. lol) Go into the appointment with an open mind, at 9 weeks, that really does make sense, though I know it's hard to wait, and if you don't like things then, speak up or switch. I switched OBs midway through one of my pregnancies, I know it's not easy, but it's not the end of the world either. Your peace of mind is worth a lot.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, with all *four* of my pregnancies I've been at least nine weeks before they would even see me. Even with a history of issues, unless something arose, they asked that I wait. Does it suck, absolutely, especially when those first weeks are so uncertain. Also, if I hadn't had issues, I would've had one, and only one ultrasound. I'm sure if you pushed you could get in sooner.

    I too have struggled with finding a doctor we're comfortable with. The Doc that I saw through my pregnancy, delivery, and follow up appointments with Breck left when he was 6 months and until recently hadn't found anyone we were completely comfortable with. We now have both a pediatrician and OB that we LOVE. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The OBs in our area won't even see you before 8 weeks, so I think that's pretty normal. I don't care for my doctor, but the next closest practice is 30 minutes away as are the two other hospitals, so I put up with what I have for now. I say if you actually like the OB, then an extra 15 minutes and waiting till 9 weeks might not be as big of an issue when all is said and done and you're looking back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read some of our story & especially for commenting!

Other Good Reads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...