Thursday, November 12, 2020

How I Keep Travel Memories

Pushpin Map
We have this world map that we stick pushpins in after each trip.  Unfortunately the shop we purchased it from on Etsy in 2015, is no longer in business. I'm anxious for those pins to get a little more spread out over the years! ;)  The two other signs on the right were finds from a vintage market several years ago.  Similar option on Etsy.

Photo Map
This is the newest addition of travel decor.  I purchased it through Thunder Bunny Labs over the summer.  Admittedly, I haven't dug out my old hard drives to print out photos from Florida, Texas, and a couple of other states.  However, once you have the phots, they have a Map Maker link on their website that creates your photo in the shape of the state you're printing and it's the most handy thing ever!  They automatically print the correct size!

Scratch Off Maps
Right before our RV trip I bought this scratch off map of the United States because I thought it would be fun to let the kids scratch each state as we went. Jordyn liked it more than Cullyn, which didn't really surprise me.  I also bought this scratch off map of all of US National ParksThey're currently on sales, buy one get one 40% off with code EARLYBLACKFRIDAY if you're in the market.

Photo Books
I also make a photbook for each of our vacations.  These don't take too long since I use the auto fill feature Shutterfly offers.  The most time consuming part is uploading the images.  I try to make these right after vacation {sometimes on the plane home} and then wait until they offer a free 8x8 photobook {they do this often}.  The whole thing takes about a hour from start to finish and usually costs less than $20.

Travel Journals
I posted about these little leather travel journals back in 2012!  I wanted a way to document the kids' travel adventures.  We collect a state map {usually from a visitor center or truck stop} while on vacation and then cut it out in the shape of the state and label the City we went to and when we traveled.  I used to manage these for the kids, but now their old enough to do it themselves, which is fun. I hope they treasure these forever.

Other than that, we collect souvenirs on all of our trips.  The kids often get pressed pennies that we keep in these books, but we also get things that we can actually use.  It's fun because they remind us of our travels when we used them.  The most common thing we purchase is beach towels and hats because you don't really outgrow them like you do a t-shirt.  We always keep a little jar of sand from any beach we get to and then label the glass jar before we set it on the mantle.  Jordyn and I also buy a little sterling silver charm from all of our different vacation destinations.  

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...