Thursday, October 15, 2020

Division of Labor in our House

A few things about the division of labor at our house -- it's always changing; we don't embrace typical gender roles.  Over the years we've naturally divided up household chores.  It's not a 50/50 split and some seasons {photography season for years when we lived in Des Moines} Adam has taken more on and other seasons {where we're currently at with his job} I've had to pull a little more weight.  The main thing is to {do what works for you, obviously} but also, stop keeping score!  Trust that it will all work out in the end.  It helps when you genuinely want to make your partner happy and also when they realize/appreciate what you do for that.  It's amazing what 'Thank you for making taking the trash out' can do even though you/they don't need a thank you for doing what needs done around the house.


Now, how we divide household tasks
1. LEVEL OF PASSION
    For example, I load the dishwasher because I know the correct way -- ha! Even if Adam offered to do this chore, I would redo it so it would be pointless for Adam to do this.  *He does sometimes do this just because he sees that it needs done {I was tired last night and left a load of dirty dishes in the sink knowing that I would need to do them before work this morning.  Don't judge, Mom! but I walked into the kitchen this morning and saw that he did them for me before he came to bed.  Bless his heart -- he's learning my love language!!} Level of passion is why Adam always cooks when he's home.  My passion level for cooking is about 3%, his is about 99%.  It just makes sense that he do this chore.

2. LEVEL OF SKILL
    This is pretty obvious, he manages the hanging of things, moving of things, and the fixing of any AV equipment, etc. since he knows that stuff.  I tackle the vision and purchasing of said decor.  I also handle the purchasing of all kid clothes.  Hey, someone has to do it! ;)  I also do the majority of the yard work {mowing, weed eating, shoveling, etc.}

3. LEVEL OF TIME
    I handle a lot more of the day to day tasks {cleaning, laundry, alll the errands, of children everrrrrywhere!}, but tend to leave the monthly {send the water meter reading to the association}, quarterly {change the furnace filter}, biannually {winterize/unwinterize the pontoon}, or annually {schedule the meeting with our financial advisor} to Adam.  I also handle many of the quick things {taking the trash out, dishes, managing the mail} while Adam's tasks are often longer in length {assembling furniture, hanging ceiling fans, etc.}

There is always the one thing you have to do because the other just can't.  Adam unclogs all toilets and I clean up all puke. #RealLife

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...