Saturday, May 30, 2015

Brooke's Chex Mix Recipe

Remember when this blog started {5 years ago} and I posted about my husband cooking?  Yah, I barely do either.  Two kids later, we just aren't home at dinner time as much as we used to be.  I swear at least 3 times I weeks I'm throwing together a quick peanut butter sandwich for the kids!  Some day we will fill our bellies with yummy, homemade food.  Until then, quick meals & snacks will just have to do.  I can't imagine how much crazier our lives will get when the kids start sports & school!  -- This really doesn't have to do with this post, it just jogged my memory that I used to post recipes often. 


Last weekend while boating with friends, we stopped over to our friend Brooke's parents' home for a quick potty break and I spotted this Chex on the counter.  Both Brooke and her mom are known for their amazing food, so I quickly grabbed a handful...and then I threw half in a ziplock and headed back to the boat.  I'm working you guys...this stuff is like crack!  Don't say I didn't warn you... :)

1 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1/2 c. Light Corn Syrup
1 (14oz.) box of Rice Chex Cereal
1 1/2 Stick Butter
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 (8oz.) can of Cashews {or your favorite nuts)

In a small saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla.

In a brown paper bag, combine cereal and cashews.  Pour Caramel mixture over cereal in the bag.  Fold the top of the bag over and shake. Place in microwave for 2 minutes.  Remove and shake again.  Repeat 2 more times.

Voila!

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...