Monday, August 29, 2022

My 10 Favorite {Easy} Go-To Meals!

Recently I've had to step in & help a bit in the kitchen.  Below are 10 of the meals we rotate through often that are 1. SIMPLE 2. EASY {my criteria as I do not enjoy being in the kitchen.  Food is for survival for me, unless I'm dining out}...


Burger Wraps + Chips
Brown hamburger on stovetop and add ketchup, mustard, diced onions {+ pickles or whatever else you want on your 'burger'} and let simmer for a bit.  Scoop on a tortilla and wrap like a burrito.  You can eat as is, or I like to throw mine on our George Foreman {true story, we still have one!} or a grill pan for a little crispness. 

Chicken + Rice Casserole
I love this because you can make it up ahead of time and it was one of the first recipes I mastered.  The recipe came from my mom and it's super easy & so yummy! 
Mix 2 cans Cream of Chicken, 1/2 c. milk, 1 envelope of French Onion Soup Mix, pepper, 2 c. rice, and raw chicken breasts cut into 1" chunks.  Pour into a  greased 9x13" pan, cover, & bake at 350* for 1 hour.  Consider making two and freezing one or dropping it to a neighbor.

Maid Rites + Green Beans
In a large skillet, combine 1 lb. beef {can't substitute turkey on this one -- 85/15 is my favorite}, 1/4c. water, 1 Tbsp. mustard, 1 tsp. sugar, onion powder {can sub for real if you wish}, garlic powder, salt and pepper if desired, and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce.  Simmer over medium heat until the beef is cooked {~5 minutes}.  Serve on fresh hoagie bun and top with whatever you like {ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles, etc.}  I prefer to add a slice of Kraft American cheese. 


Smoked Pork Chops + Veggies
No recipe for this either since it comes from the local meat locker, too.  These are pre-cooked {smoked} so I just warm them up on the stovetop and pair with a side {veggies, pasta, potatoes, mac and cheese -- whatever you have!}

Rotisserie Chicken + Rice or Risotto
Again no recipe.  This comes straight from the grocery store {or Sam's/Costco}.  I pull it off the bone and serve it with rice or risotto {from a box}.  Anything left over gets used for enchiladas {see below}

Pulled Pork + Potatoes
This isn't a recipe, but we buy this pre-made from the local meat locker and pair it with a potato {in any form}  We eat this plain {with chips, veggies, or a potato} or on a sandwich.  Anything leftover is used for pulled pork nachos the next night. 

Lasagna + Salad + Garlic Bread
I brown 2 lbs of ground turkey or beef {depending on the size of dish I'm using.  I like to use this pan, so I have to use 2lbs. of meat}, add garlic & onion powder.  Drain.  Spray pan, spread thin layer of sauce, uncooked noodles, then tomato paste, followed by meat, pasta sauce & cheese.  Then another layer or two of uncooked noodles, tomato paste, meat, pasta sauce & cheese.  Cover with foil and cook for 45ish minutes on 350*.  Add bagged salad and frozen garlic bread of your choice.  This is an easy recipe to make two of and take the second to a friend or pop in the freezer for another night. 


Tomato Soup + Grilled Cheese
We use the Campbell's Tomato Bisque from a can.  We usually just put 2 pieces of cheese on whatever bread we have in the house for our grilled cheese, but if you meal planned ahead of time, gourmet grilled cheese' would be fun!

Taco Bake
I love this because you can make it up ahead of time.  
Press 1 can of crescent rolls into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.   Brown 1 lb. of ground turkey or beef.  Add taco seasoning to taste {& a can of Ro-tel and/or olives if you wish}.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Add meat to 6oz. Greek yogurt & spread over crescents.  Top with cheddar cheese & a Doritos.  Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.  If you're really in a pinch for time, throw this mixture in a mini bag of Doritos {instead of putting it over the crescent rolls}, add lettuce, and call it a night!

Chicken Enchiladas
I use rotisserie chicken because the only meat I'm comfortable cooking is ground beef {that would explain the level of these meals!!} and mix it with a can of cream of chicken, sour cream, shredded cheese, cream cheese, taco seasoning {and salsa, olives, and/or green chilies if you want}.  I mix it all together and scoop them into tortillas.  Fill the pan with tortillas and top with shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350* for ~30 minutes


3 bonus ideas...
Spaghetti + {frozen} Meatballs
Homemade Pizza
French Dip Sandwiches

If all else fails, it's breakfast food or popcorn night at our house!

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...