Friday, January 29, 2021

Favorite Winter Gear

We take our cold weather gear v. seriously in Iowa.  It's going to be cold, so you might as well do what you can do prevent yourself from being miserable!  I actually quite like the snow, so I want to be comfortable in it.  I invest in pieces that last forever and buy black when I can to pass from Jordyn to Cullyn {girl to boy}.  

HEAD
A good balaclava for the kids and adults.
Super beneficial for blowing snow and windy winter days.
*We prefer balaclavas to Neckies.  Balaclavas also replace the need for a scarf.

ski goggles for anyone skiing or sledding.
They act as sunglasses but also keep the snow & wind out of your eyes.

SHOULDERS
I recommend a good, quality coat.  Something that is built to last
As much as I love Target, this isn't the time for that.  Look for a good
end of season sale or on racks at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, etc. for brands like Burton, Patagonia, Spider, or The North Face Remember, black, navy, hunter green, etc. are all great for any sex.

Mittens are best for warmth and great if you're sledding, skiing, etc.  If you really need gloves, make sure you get a quality pair, meant for cold weather.  We prefer snow mittens or snow gloves for the kidsThese don't let any snow into your wrist area.  We rarely use these, but if you plan to be outside {not moving around much} for quite a while, these are great.  We used them on our sleigh ride this year.  Make sure you only use the toe ones on your feet.  The hand ones are too hot for your feet!

KNEES
We prefer snow overalls to snowpantsThe pants allow for snow and wind to hit you.  The bibs aren't the most attractive, but they work so much better.  Make sure the ones for the kids have the reinforced knee -- a must.  Again, these are great to pick up at the end of season.  Every adult male I know swears by these bibs.  We all love thermal for under our snow gear.

& TOES
Wool socks are the best.  They don't need to be anything fancy and they last for years.  Boots are soo important!  Columbia boots like these are fantastic for kids.  A waterproof sole is a must!  I love my Sorel boots that I bought back in 2015.  These are a must if you'll be walking on ice -- they fit over almost any shoe.


Other winter favorites
Snowball makers, igloo molds, snow paint, mini shovels for the kids, my dad swears by this shovel, snowman accessories.

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...