Tuesday, March 30, 2021

My Church Story

A big blogger recently wrote about her history with the church and I thought it would be fun to go back and recap my story.  It isn't anything great or grand.  I didn't find the Lord through rock bottom, so sometimes I feel like I don't really have a story, however I always love reading about others stories, so I figured 'why not?!'  Plus it's Easter Week, so I couldn't think of a better time to share the love and redemption of Jesus.


For as long as I can remember back, my family {mom, dad, my 2 sisters, and myself} went to a Lutheran Church in my hometown.  It was Missouri Synod, so
very traditional and structured.  I always joked it was the Lutheran version of a Catholic Church.  That being said, it was all I knew.  I felt very comfortable in that church.  It was home.  I didn't care for the pastor because he was so structured and just not very relatable for kids, but the building itself had a comfortable feeling for me.  I was baptized as a baby, we went to Sunday School almost every Sunday, stayed for church with my parents often, 
we were always in the Christmas pageants and never missed a vacation bible school.  As I got older I was very involved with  Youth Group {so many lock ins!}, my sister and I participated in the bell choir, I was on alter committee, and I actually enjoyed all of that.  Then I took four years of catechism and got confirmed, which felt really special, but was also just a huge relief!

After that I checked out.  Weekly 3 hour catechism class, memorization homework, mandatory Sunday School, and Church on top of regular school/life for FOUR years was just too much!  After I was confirmed I was given the choice {by my parents} if I wanted to go to church or not and I was just DONE!   So I pretty much quit going except Easter and Christmas.

My parents then realized that church was a bit much and we switched to another local church in our small town.  This was a United Church of Christ church.  The youth program was fantastic -- both of my sisters participated in that.  However, I was in high school/college by this point.  I went to church on some Sundays {probably 50% if I'm being honest} but never really connected at this church.  I was just going to go really.  By the time my middle sister graduated, in 2006, I pretty much didn't go to church at all.  I had gone through some life things with family members that really shook me and I pretty much lost all faith.  

I graduated from college and moved to Des Moines by this point and was living a totally 'Christian-free' life.  I don't say this to be proud, I look back and cringe!  I met Adam and got married.  We both believed in God and would probably have told people we were Christians if they had asked, but we weren't living a Godly life at all.  

Once we had Jordyn, we started going to a big church in our town, and then another big, newer church because we felt like that's what we 'should' do.  The messages were good, very 'feel good' and easy to understand, but there wasn't a ton of scripture behind them.  The church was big, and didn't feel like the church I knew.  But we had friends that went there, so it made it easy to go.  This is when I knew I really wanted to live like a Christian.  I became closer to Jesus at this time because I wanted to for the first time.  Finally it wasn't out of obligated or what I morally knew I SHOULD do.  It's hard to explain, but something just clicked.  This was the first time I was thankful for the years I spent growing up in the church and all the years of Catechism and bible verse memorization.

And then we moved.

The move wasn't easy on me emotionally.  I felt like I gave a lot up.  I missed my friends dearly.  I moving was best for my family, and I love it here, I just miss{ed} what I had there.  I was lonely, so I clung to the word during those lonely times.  I feel like the Lord brought some special people into my life to help me through that.  We go to a great church in our new town -- the kids love kids church, the pastor gives great messages, and the church not just encourages but gives you resources to help you be a well rounded Christian {the opportunity to serve in many ways, books to help you with all areas of your life, guidance to live a debt free life, etc.}.  I've gotten plugged into a small group and the members hold such a dear place in my heart now.  I willingly read my bible because I crave the word and want to align my life as Jesus did.  Most of all I have finally found a church that feels like home again.

It's hard to wrap posts like this up since it's ongoing, but I guess I write this to encourage you to keep trying if church isn't 'working' for you right now.  People change, churches change, our hearts change -- we're all human.  Just remember it isn't about 'the church', yes going to church is part of it, but it's about love and trying to live like Jesus.  For me, that means reading the bible to keep pointing me on the right track and surrounding myself with Godly people that want to see me {us, my family} succeed.  It's an added bonus if you can get yourself a dream team of friends/mentors of all different ages and stages of life.  I can tell you that if it weren't for God three of my very best friends right now wouldn't be in my life.

__________________________________________________

If you don't have a bible and want to get started reading the word, please reach out to me.  I would love to send you one.  It's the one book in life that can carry you through anything.  


*The YouVersion Bible App is also really helpful.  It's free and so convenient -- it has audio too if that's more helpful.  If you're just getting started, consider reading the  Verse of the Day.  If you want a little more, consider following one of their Plans {basically free bible studies}.

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...