Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Memory Keeping

It's so easy to get wrapped up with daily life and forget to take the time to document pieces of it for the future.  When I was a photographer, people would constantly ask me how I stored photos.  I have so many photos it can be super overwhelming!  My best advice is to remind you -- something is better than nothing.  In so many areas of my life I can let perfect be the enemy of good.  I'm a work in progress :)

video
Adam definitely takes more video than me, but I do try to take at least a little clip every day.  I add these clips into an app called 1SE {one second every day}.  The app is super easy to use and it's so fun to watch the little clips become a highlight video of the year.  I try to upload the clips on Sundays for the entire week.  The whole thing takes about 5 minutes.

photos



The easiest way to make photobooks is with an app called Chatbooks.  They automatically link to your Instagram account and mail you a book every 60 photos.  They automatically make the book, charge your card, and mail the book to your house all for $10.  You can use this referral like to save $10 on your first order

I also make a photbook for each of our vacations.  These don't take too long since I use the auto fill feature Shutterfly offers.  The most time consuming part is uploading the images.  I try to make these right after vacation {sometimes on the plane home} and then wait until they offer a free 8x8 photobook {they do this often}.  The whole thing takes about a hour from start to finish and usually costs less than $20.

The most time consuming {& costly} way I compile our photos is by making an Annual Family Photobook each year.  I make one 12x12 hardcover book for the whole family every calendar year.  They are huge books, so I always wait until Shutterfly is running a free unlimited pages deal.  They usually end up costing about $100 each, but they're some of our favorite books to look through!

Other than that, I have laptops and hard drives full of unorganized photos just like the next guy.  Should I ever get a week with nothing else on my to-do list, I have dreams of sorting and organizing them for easy navigation in the future. Speaking of to do list, I have dreams of getting my old family VHS tapes converted to digital.  Maybe in 2021? 

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...