Monday, September 9, 2019

How I Meal Plan

With Adam getting home late {after 8p} so many evenings, I've had to step up my cooking game.  One of these days I will share a few of my easy recipes that your toddler could probably master! ;)  Today I'm sharing how I meal plan each month.  It's pretty simple {I use excel -- comment below if you would like me to email you my template}, but I love seeing the entire month and knowing what's planned.
  • I start by laying out the month and adding in any days we will be out of town {high five for dining out!} or have dinner plans to go out with friends {I'll be honest, this is very rare these days!}
  • Next I add any reoccurring meals.  In our house we have pizza every week.  Usually Friday, but sometimes Sunday evenings. Tuesday night a sweet, sweet friend of ours hosts us -- yes, every single week.  No, I don't take this for granted.  If for some reason we can't make it {like we're late getting home from taekwondo} my backup meal is 'Breakfast for Dinner'  We always, always, always have the ingredients for scrambled cheesy eggs and sides {fruit, yogurt, pancakes/mini bagels}
  • From there I fill in all remaining dinners {& lunch on the weekends}.  To keep this simple, I Mondays are pasta night {spaghetti, chicken spaghetti, chicken Alfredo, lasagna, macaroni, etc.} Wednesdays are always some form of chicken {chicken & rice, chicken Marsala, chicken enchiladas, chicken Parmesan, grilled marinated chicken, chicken cordon bleu, chicken Parmesan bites, homemade chicken strips, etc.} Thursdays are always some form of a beef meal {open faced hamburgers, lasagna, maid rites, meatballs, roast, cheeseburgers, tacos/walking tacos, french dips, etc.}  For the weekend I just plug in meals that aren't already listed somewhere.  I keep a list of family favorites {chicken nachos, scalloped potatoes & ham, paninis, baked potato casserole, chicken friend rice, fish, beef tips over rice, bacon ranch rollups, grilled pork loin, smoked turkey breast, etc.}  In the fall/winter we always have Soup Sunday -- a few of our favorites include chicken noodle soup, chili {Adam's, not a favorite of the kids and I!}, tomato soup & grilled cheese sticks, beef tips over rice, cheesy potato soup, mushrooms and wild rice soup, hamburger beer cheese soup
If all else fails -- peanut butter sandwiches for all! ;)

You might enjoy this too...

5 Year Travel Plan

I got this idea from the Best of Both Worlds podcast .  They suggested making a 5 year travel plan.  They had me at travel and planning -- h...